A Kings Mystery.......Cutting Instructions

Bear with me as I attempt to give you instructions for a mystery quilt...I like the idea of a mystery quilt but can never bring myself to make them as I want to make sure I like the quilt before I put time and effort into it! So I designed and made a mystery quilt of my own. I have given two examples of fabric here and here.

Any feature print will work well as the squares of this fabric are fairly large (6.5"). You can fussy cut them to get the best out of the fabric but you may need more fabric than instructed. Cutting instructions include seam allowances. I will be giving all the cutting instructions together. I used snap lock bags to store the pieces labeled with letters. Instructions are for rotary cutting and machine piecing. I will include pictures and diagram where needed. If something doesn't make sense please leave a comment on my blog and I will fix the problem or explain what I mean a little more.

FINISHED QUILT SIZE = 54" square (135cms)

Fabric Requirements
Use quilters fabric (42" wide)
Fabric 1 (feature print) = 52" (130cms) or 31" (80cms) if you don't mind a pieced border
Fabric 2 (light) = 30" (75cms)
Fabric 3 (medium) = 32" (85cms)
Fabric 4 (dark) = 30" (75cms)

Binding
You can use any of the fabrics to make the binding I recommend either Fabric 3 or 4. You will need 15" (40cms) for binding.

Cutting Instructions for all fabrics

Fabric 1
For Fabric 130 cm long
Cut down the lenght of the fabric (so there are no joins in the border)
4 x 3 1/2" strips. Put these aside for the border.
Cut two 6 1/2" strips Cross cut into 12 x 6 1/2" squares.

OR
For Fabric 80 cms long
Cut across the width of the fabric.
Cut 5 x 3 1/2" strips. Put aside for the border.
Cut two strips 6 1/2" wide. Cross cut into 6 1/2". Yeilding 12 x 6 1/2" squares (Remember you can fussy cut these if you like!).
Label as A




Fabric 2
Cut 3 strips 7 1/4" wide. Cross cut into 7 1/4" = yeilding 16 x 7 1/4" squares. Cut twice diagonally to make 64 quarter-square triangles.
Label as B



Fabric 3
Cut from the width of the Fabric
5 x 3 7/8" strips. Cross cut into 46 x 3 7/8" squares.
Cut each square once daigonally to make 92 half-sqaure triangles. Label as C

1 x 7 1/4" strip. Cross cut into 5 x 7 1/4" squares
Cut twice Diagonally to make 20 quater-square triangles (but you will only use 18 Label as E

Cut 1 x 4 1/4" strip.Cross cut into 8 x 4 1/4" squares. Cut each square twice diagonally to make 32 quater-squares traingles.
Label as H

Fabric 4
Cut from the width of the fabric
1 x 4 1/4" strip. Cross cut into 8 x 4 1/4" square. Cut twice diagonally to make 32 quater-square triangles
Label as G

2 x 3 7/8" strips. Cross cutinto 16 x 3 7/8" squares. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE EXTRA PIECE LEFTOVER IN THIS STRIP YOU NEED IT
Cut once diagonally to make 32 half-square triangles
Label as F

Cutting for these squares is tight so go right to the edge. You can cut the extra4 that you need from the remainder of the strip above.
4 x 3 1/2" strips. Cross cut into 48 squares. Cut 4 more squares from the extra pieces. Making a total of 52 x 3 1/2" squares
Label as D

Binding
Cut into 2 1/2" strips. You should get 6.

Sewing instructions will start on Sunday the 2nd of February...Please leave comments to let me know how you are going...or post updates in your blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great International Stash Busting Giveaway

{3rd Birthday} Octonauts party

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Spring 2010