Quilt-a-long Panel Quilt Part 4

OH MY GOODNESS I feel so terribly guilty....
I went looking for the last part of this quilt-a-long I was doing for Emma and was highly embarrassed to see the last bit I did on this was in September!! I seriously didn't think it was that long ago...huge apologies Emma...so without further ado here is the next part of the quilt!

Part 1- with the cutest little helper!
Part 2
Part 3

Churn Dash Blocks

Finished block size 12 inches square
Total of 8 blocks

Fabric A - Centre of block (white)
Fabric B - Dark
Fabric C - Light

Fabric A
- cut 8 squares 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Fabric B
- cut 16 squares 4 7/8" x 4 7/8" - cross cut on the diagonal once
- cut 32 rectangles 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Fabric C
- cut 16 squares 4 7/8" x 4 7/8" - cross cut on the diagonal once
- cut 32 rectangles 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"


Piece together a light and a dark half-square triangle and chain stitch them. Then iron them with the seam towards the darker fabric.


Repeat with the rectangles, joining one light and one dark, along the long side.




Join a 'rectangle square' to either side of the centre square, with the dark fabric closest to the centre from each side.


Join the 'triangle squares' to either side of a 'rectangle square'

Layout of whole block


Join a top and bottom to the centre pressing seams flat as you go. I've pressed mine all out from the centre block because it is a light colour and I don't want the seam to show.


Then you have 8 finished 'Churn Dash' Blocks!

Join into 2 rows of 4


Now to join them to the quilt!
Much to delight they are the perfect length - no fudging required!
Fold the quilt in half along the bottom and top edge, mark with a pin, centre the four blocks on to the top/bottom. Press seam flat.


There is one more border to add...but I haven't picked my fabric for that yet...but if you want to go ahead it will be just a 4" border all the way around.

Emma when you've done yours, before you add the last border, can you lay it over a single bed for me...I just want to see the size and whether it needs no border, bigger or smaller border....We don't have any single beds in this house! Thanks!

Comments

That is cute! Your churn dash blocks are so precise! I love the pink fabric too. Jenn

Popular posts from this blog

The Great International Stash Busting Giveaway

{3rd Birthday} Octonauts party

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Spring 2010