Pride & Prejudice - 200 years

Jane Austen (1775-1817) was extremely modest about her own genius but has become one of English literature's most famous women writers. Austen began writing at a young age, embarking on what is possibly her best-known work, Pride and Prejudice, at the age of 22. She was the author of Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey. If you liked Pride and Prejudice, you may enjoy Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, also available in Penguin Classics. "The most perfect artist among women, the writer whose books are immortal". (Virginia Woolf). "As nearly flawless as any fiction could be". (Eudora Welty). "Pride and Prejudice has always been the most popular of Jane Austen's books ...with its good humoured comedy, its sunny heroine, its dream denouement". (Claire Tomalin). Taken from the Blurb here

Kylie set a challenge in May to read and view some different versions of Pride & Prejudice. And so that is what I did.

Finishing a whole 14 days before the end of Winter, and the close of the challenge date. Go me!

I started with a modern day version in the form of a Video Diary 'The Lizzie Bennett Diaries'.
Miss Dove was raving about them and I must confess I did enjoy them to. *swoon*  Don't ask me to quote my favourite numbers but I've sure Miss Dove will be along soon to leave a comment on her favourites.....which she has basically committed to memory!



I then followed that up with the paperback novel. The first 10 chapters were hard going til you get used to the language and some of the spelling conventions from 1813. The last 10 chapters are sweet and lovely to read....even when you know what is going to happen at the end.

And then this last weekend I watched the BBC version on DVD borrowed from the local Library. A six part Mini series. It was kinda fun remembering which parts matched up with the Lizzie Bennett Diaries.



I added a little extension to the challenge when I saw this cute little book pop up in the Book Club Catalogue that gets sent home from school every couple of months. http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mr-Darcy-Alex-Field/9781921042836 


And I now spy a second book which is currently unavailable but will snap up when it comes back in stock! http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mr-Darcy-Dancing-Duck-Alex-Field/9781921928178



I'm still interested in getting hold of the Kiera Knightly movie version to make the super dooper dooper challenge complete but I'm satisified for now.

Oh and in case you were interested there is a 'Emma' version of this challenge up too. No dates yet as they haven't released the Video Blog dates...I'll keep you posted!

Comments

LittleWhiteDove said…
98. What more can I say?
Unknown said…
Thank you so much for taking part. It was fun! Think I will have to seek out the Darcy duck books at work....

Popular posts from this blog

The Great International Stash Busting Giveaway

{3rd Birthday} Octonauts party

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Spring 2010